The interconnection of any energy resource to the electrical grid requires careful attention to its impact on the surrounding system and consumers. This is true whether the source is landfill gas to energy generation, peaking power plants, community PV, battery storage, or any other type of distributed energy resource (DER). As DER penetration continues to increase at the distribution level, it is especially important to apply a methodical evaluation process to determine the adequacy of the existing plant to accommodate such generation.
At the onset of a DER interconnection, our team can perform a system impact study that includes:
- Voltage and thermal limitations in a worst case steady-state condition
- Voltage magnitude and flicker dynamics of the transient circuit response
- Distribution system protection schemes, protection sensitivity, reclosing, etc.
- Resonant frequency of the system and objectionable harmonic distortion
Next, we perform a facilities study to determine specific modifications required to the existing system to ensure safe and reliable operation and to address any concerns identified within the system impact study.
Such facilities recommendations may include:
- Any necessary metering or monitoring capability and associated equipment
- Required protection upgrades of new installations
- Upgrades to existing distribution facilities to address identified violations
- Adjustments to existing regulation or protection settings to ensure proper system operation
- Budgetary estimates for implementing facilities recommendations
These evaluations performed in tandem will provide a thorough understanding of the steady state and dynamic response of the distribution system, including any existing DER, to the proposed generation, and identify appropriate equipment and facilities improvements to enable the interconnection.
EV and DER Impacts
PSE is your partner to identify how these emerging technologies will affect you. We can help you determine:
- A range of viable projections and associated impacts
- How you can help drive the adoption and
operation of these technologies
Who Does This Affect?
- Generation and Transmission Cooperatives, Investor-Owned Utilities Municipal Agencies, Public Power Agencies
- Distribution electric utilities – cooperatives and municipals.
- Electric Utilities located in areas where solar and EV adoption tends to be “stronger.”
- Progressive and proactive utilities.
How can PSE help my company?
- PSE understands how growth in DER and EV can affect the entire organization.
- PSE has an abundant amount of expertise showing EV and DER impacts on load forecasting, power supply evaluations, system costs, delivery system impacts, revenue impacts, and viable rate design.
- PSE is able to help clients bring meaning to the results and identify potential risks and opportunities.