How is your SCADA system working for you today?
- Value: How valuable is your SCADA system to your daily operations?
- Maintainability: Are you able to update your SCADA system as it grows?
- Information: Are you getting the information you need from the field to see your whole system in real-time?
- Control: Do you have the ability to rapidly restore power and control voltage throughout your system?
Many utilities have invested significant dollars and manpower in substation and distribution equipment to achieve islands of modernization amidst remaining legacy equipment. Power System Engineering, Inc. (PSE) believes SCADA can be a powerful tool, but only if this hybrid system functions smoothly as a whole.
- Integration: SCADA systems provide the most value when well integrated with outage management systems (OMS), geographical information systems (GIS), and metering (AMI) systems
- Equipment: Many utilities have legacy RTUs in their substations along with select modern IEDs such as microprocessor-based relays, regulators, and recloser controls; they are faced with the decision of how to combine these assets to best control the substation
- Networking: Architecting the communications network (whether serial or Ethernet, fiber or wireless) that forms the backbone of your SCADA system is critical for accessing field devices in a timely and reliable manner
- Security: As field devices become more intelligent and provide more remote control of field operations, securing access to them becomes increasingly critical; whether NERC CIP is applicable to your utility, many of the same security principles can be applied and scaled to your network
PSE’s SCADA checkup outlines the steps necessary to maximize the information you’re getting from your system and to increase your control.
PSE Is Uniquely Positioned For Your SCADA Project
Our team members have worked on SCADA projects for numerous utilities across the country over many years, involving many suppliers of SCADA masters, communications systems, and equipment that supports SCADA for substations and feeders. This checkup can be the trigger that makes a major investment such as SCADA – as well as key assets such as your electric system and even crews – achieve more.