Openings at Power System Engineering
Power System Engineering, Inc. (PSE) has a number of positions open as a result of our continued growth. Take a look at the careers available at PSE and find out how you can become a part of our team.
Whether or not there is an opening listed, PSE is always looking for professionals with:
- Consulting experience in the areas of engineering, economics, planning, financing, telecommunications, or land planning.
- Demonstrated expertise in business development, implementation, and project management.
- Bachelors, masters, or doctorate degree.
- Polished communication skills.
PSE is an employee-owned national consulting firm serving electric utilities of all types. We offer attractive salaries and benefits and significant growth potential for those that can recognize and respond to client needs. Qualified individuals who perform well may also be invited to become part owners of the business.
If you are interested in staying on the leading edge of your field, desire challenging projects, want substantial influence on your career direction, want compensation to reflect contribution, value working and learning from other skilled consultants, and prefer to work at a company where employees chart its course, apply now by emailing us your resume and cover letter.
Line Design Engineer
PSE has an immediate opening for a Line Design Engineer to be based out of our Madison, WI office. The position will focus on performing engineering related functions to support electric transmission and distribution line design, with power line voltages ranging from 2.4kV to 230kV. Both entry level and experienced candidates are encouraged to apply. Job responsibilities and salary will be structured around the candidate’s knowledge and level of experience.
The following are essential responsibilities of this position and do not include marginal functions that are incidental to the performance of the fundamental job duties.
- Route and design transmission and distribution lines.
- Develop electric power transmission and distribution line design standards.
- Perform structure loading analysis and calculations.
- Work with line design software, including PLS-CADD, Sag10, and in-house Excel spreadsheets.
- Work on analysis of line structures, layout or spotting of structures within land corridors, and the related geotechnical/foundation design.
- Develop design documentation including staking sheets, plan & profiles, and material specifications.
- Develop construction specifications and contracts, coordinate pre-bid meetings, evaluate bids and proposals, and provide contract award recommendations for transmission and distribution construction projects.
- Perform work order inspections on recently constructed transmission and distribution facilities to ensure compliance with RUS, NESC, IEEE, ANSI, and other applicable standards.
Applicants must have a four-year Bachelor of Science degree in Civil, Mechanical, or Structural Engineering, and the ability to obtain a Professional Engineer license within four years of hire date. Applicants must have working knowledge of computer software, including AutoCAD, MS Excel, and MS Word. Knowledge of electric utility systems, line design and line design software (PLS-CADD), foundation design, surveying practices, and project management is a plus. Applicants must possess basic knowledge for structural calculations, computer applications, and technical writing.
We offer attractive salaries and benefits and significant growth potential for those that can recognize and respond to client needs. To apply, email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Utility Communications Consultant - Mobile Voice and Fixed Data
PSE has an opening in our Madison, WI office for a project management level person responsible for wide area communication studies and propagation activities focusing on land mobile radio (LMR) and fixed wireless design.
PSE leads technology and product selection projects of new privately owned mobile voice/data and fixed data systems for electric utilities. The tasks typically begin with defining the unique requirements, selecting the best technology, completing the radio design work, writing the RFPs for the vendors to bid on, and helping the utility select the best product to meet the requirements.
Applicants must have at least 10 years of experience completing design tasks for both LMR and fixed wireless. Having core expertise in the following areas is highly desired:
- Capability to complete LMR propagation studies and design.
- Expertise in any or all of the following technologies: Licensed radio 30 to 900 MHz, unlicensed 900 MHz, 2.4 GHz, 5.8 GHz, and licensed microwave.
- Good understanding of the product trade-offs for fixed data and LMR.
- Experience working with frequency coordinators to help clients obtain the needed licenses.
- Strong interpersonal skills to interface with clients in selling new work, completing strategy sessions with clients, writing proposals, specifications and RFPs and occasionally making industry presentations.
The selected individual will be working in a small team environment with other communication related experts. An engineering degree or technical degree and PE registration is preferred.
We offer attractive salaries and benefits and significant growth potential for those that can recognize and respond to client needs. To apply, email us your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.