Openings at Power System Engineering
Power System Engineering, Inc. (PSE) has a number of positions open as a result of our continued growth. Take a look at the careers available at PSE and find out how you can become a part of our team.
Whether or not there is an opening listed, PSE is always looking for professionals with:
- Consulting experience in the areas of engineering, economics, planning, financing, telecommunications, or land planning.
- Demonstrated expertise in business development, implementation, and project management.
- Bachelors, masters, or doctorate degree.
- Polished communication skills.
PSE is an employee-owned national consulting firm serving electric utilities of all types. We offer attractive salaries and benefits and significant growth potential for those that can recognize and respond to client needs. Qualified individuals who perform well may also be invited to become part owners of the business.
If you are interested in staying on the leading edge of your field, desire challenging projects, want substantial influence on your career direction, want compensation to reflect contribution, value working and learning from other skilled consultants, and prefer to work at a company where employees chart its course, apply now by emailing us your resume and cover letter.
Utility Financial Analyst
PSE has an immediate opening for a full-time entry-level Utility Financial Analyst located in our Minneapolis, MN office. This individual will be responsible for providing analysis and consulting services to PSE clients for a wide range of economic and financial engagements.
The following are primary responsibilities of this position:
- Participate in the completion of various financial and utility rate studies in a project team environment.
- Manage and document progress on assigned tasks, deadlines, and budgets for multiple projects simultaneously.
- Analyze, interpret, and report on client financial statements and performance.
- Prepare cost allocation studies used to assess and design utility rates.
- Prepare comparison of rates between a variety of utilities.
- Develop forecasts of costs and revenues using trend or regression analysis.
- Gather and process substantial amounts of data in Microsoft Excel.
- Assist in the preparation of analysis and exhibits as needed to support expert testimony.
- Review and audit financial and management policies.
The following are minimum requirements of this position:
- A bachelor’s degree in business or economics strongly preferred.
- Possess strong organizational skills needed to participate in multiple project teams simultaneously while completing tasks on time, target, and budget.
- Possess the ability and drive to produce excellent work product, learn new concepts, develop skills, and be a strong team player.
- Be client oriented.
- Possess high business ethics.
- Must have a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Basic knowledge of electric utility systems a plus.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation and an extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture. Click here for more information and to apply.
PSE has an opening in our Marietta, OH office for a SCADA Engineer. Typical projects involve assisting utilities with expansion and commissioning of their SCADA systems. These activities often involve programming of RTUs and data concentrators, troubleshooting and commissioning of the system at the substation, and programming of the SCADA master database and one-lines. To be considered, candidates must have a minimum of 5 years of experience. Qualifications should include familiarity with substation automation equipment and programming of SCADA parameters within these devices including RTUs, recloser controls, regulators, and relays. There is a preference for someone with experience working at an electric utility, a consulting firm supporting utilities, or a utility vendor; interpersonal and business development skills; and ability to meet deadlines.
We offer attractive salaries and benefits and significant growth potential for those who can recognize and respond to client needs. To apply, email your resume and a cover letter as a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PSE, with over forty years in business and eighty employees in six offices, is expanding into Louisville, KY due to business demand, and is seeking a Utility Consultant to lead engineering efforts for our clients in the region.
PSE has several diversified practice areas and extensive experience in all facets of the utility industry. We provide services in the areas of Resource and Power Delivery, Planning, and Design, as well as Utility Automation and Communication, and Economics, Rates, and Business Planning.
This individual will provide consulting services that advocate optimal operation, maintenance, and orderly expansion of an electric delivery system in accordance with national and state regulatory agency codes and standards.
PSE is a widely respected name in the industry, with many speakers at conferences held by organizations and trade groups like IEEE, Utilities Telecom Council, APPA, DistribuTech, TechAdvantage REMA, and various Electric Cooperative Association meetings across the U.S. We also publish a quarterly newsletter with cutting-edge technical and industry-driven topics.
PSE has licensed engineers in thirty-eight states and almost 25% of our entire staff is made up of PE licensed engineers.
We have an active list of over 200 clients consisting of electric utilities, independent power producers/developers, governmental agencies, construction contractors, and private industrial clients. Our utility clients consist of cooperatives, municipals and IOUs with the majority of clients classified as cooperatives and municipals.
The following are essential responsibilities of this position:
- Direct, coordinate, and carry out the development of long-term and short-term power delivery studies and associated environmental reports.
- Direct, coordinate, and carry out the development of other engineering studies, such as, system protection/sectionalizing, reliability, power factor correction, distributed generation system impact, and power quality.
- Provide day-to-day operations support to PSE clients, including backfeed analysis, switching procedures, motor starting analysis, and equipment sizing.
- Develop and analyze data for and work with a project team to complete the planning process to ensure that solutions are achievable and technically sound.
- Perform financial analysis of solutions using parameters pertinent to the project and client.
The candidate must also possess the ability to work in cooperative fashion with other PSE team members to improve efficiencies and work product, as well as with utility client management and staff to understand the scope of work and any concerns.
The candidate must have a BSEE with a minimum of five years of experience, as well as an active Professional Engineer license registered with the Kentucky Board of Engineers and Land Surveyors, or be capable of obtaining a license through the Licensure by Endorsement process.
The candidate shall be self-motivated and have experience in power system planning, protection, design, and operations. Working knowledge of applicable USDA-RD, NESC, IEEE, and ANSI standards is highly preferred.
- Ground floor of a new office
- Potential to become a leading figure in the office
- Flexibility in determining career path and work
- Future stock ownership in company
- Work independently as a direct go-to person for clients within the area
PSE offers attractive salaries and benefits and significant growth potential for those that can recognize and respond to client needs. PSE is a growing, employee-owned engineering firm that fosters a team environment and offers a completive salary and benefit package. To apply, email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Utility Automation Consultant
PSE has an immediate opening for a full-time Utility Automation Consultant located in our Madison, WI office. This individual will be responsible for providing consulting services to our clients for a wide range of technology projects.
We are seeking a dedicated professional to perform the following duties:
- Work on projects that involve consulting of utility automation applications such as: AMI, OMS, IVR, CIS, MWM, DA, SCADA, MDM, GIS, and integration of software systems.
- Assist with strategic technology planning, business cases, procurement, and project management of deployment projects in the areas mentioned above.
- Assist with client lead generation, production of technical proposals, preparation of technical reports, and creation of presentations.
- Work in cooperative fashion with other PSE team members within an entrepreneurial culture.
- Typical business travel consists of one or two day meetings with travel occurring every other week on average.
- Bachelor’s degree is required with a preference for computer science, engineering or other technical area.
- Preference for someone with experience working at a utility with electric services, a consulting firm supporting utilities, or a utility vendor.
- A background with an understanding of wide area communication networks, system integration, and business system software is desired.
- At least three years of relevant experience.
- Strong writing, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to work independently as needed.
- Strong team work and people skills.
- Able to multi-task, prioritize workload, problem solve, and meet deadlines.
- Entrepreneurial attitude to help foster PSE’s continued growth.
We offer attractive salaries and benefits and significant growth potential for those that can recognize and respond to client needs. To apply, email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Utility Communications Consultant - Mobile Voice and Fixed Data
PSE has an opening in our Madison, WI office for a project management level person responsible for wide area communication studies and propagation activities focusing on land mobile radio (LMR) and fixed wireless design.
PSE leads technology and product selection projects of new privately owned mobile voice/data and fixed data systems for electric utilities. The tasks typically begin with defining the unique requirements, selecting the best technology, completing the radio design work, writing the RFPs for the vendors to bid on, and helping the utility select the best product to meet the requirements.
Applicants must have at least 10 years of experience completing design tasks for both LMR and fixed wireless. Having core expertise in the following areas is highly desired:
- Capability to complete LMR propagation studies and design.
- Expertise in any or all of the following technologies: Licensed radio 30 to 900 MHz, unlicensed 900 MHz, 2.4 GHz, 5.8 GHz, and licensed microwave.
- Good understanding of the product trade-offs for fixed data and LMR.
- Experience working with frequency coordinators to help clients obtain the needed licenses.
- Strong interpersonal skills to interface with clients in selling new work, completing strategy sessions with clients, writing proposals, specifications and RFPs and occasionally making industry presentations.
The selected individual will be working in a small team environment with other communication related experts. An engineering degree or technical degree and PE registration is preferred.
We offer attractive salaries and benefits and significant growth potential for those that can recognize and respond to client needs. To apply, email us your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.