Mobile Voice and Data
A utility typically only selects a new mobile voice (and now data) system every 10 to 20 years. The design and selection process can be complex and cumbersome. Power System Engineering, Inc. (PSE) uses a proven process to evaluate and procure mobile voice and data systems for our clients. PSE adds further value by helping our clients throughout the entire life cycle of the radio system deployment—from design, procurement, installation, system testing, and cutover.
Mobile radio systems can be voice only, data only, or a combination of voice and data. These systems can be public networks or privately owned. PSE's understanding of the capabilities of the leading communication vendors and the cost, benefits, and functionality trade-offs between the different types of radio systems is how we have developed a proven track record for successful completion of projects.
When the decision is made to move forward on evaluation of a new radio system, our team can support your utility with:
- Business, functional, and technical requirements
- Feasibility and business cases
- Spectrum acquisition
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) licensee planning and administration
- Path and propagation studies
- Backbone technology plan
- Negotiating favorable tower colocation terms
- Properly licensing new towers
- Radio system channel plan
- Mobile radio technology: analog, digital, IP, conventional, trunked, simulcast, automatic vehicle location (AVL), WiMAX, hotspots, and others.
- Vendor contract management process, Request for Proposals (RFPs), favorable terms and conditions
- Project and program management
- Mobile workforce management (MWM) application integration
- Inspecting, baselining and commissioning installations
- Managing and documenting coverage testing
- Developing a preventative maintenance plan for the system