Microwave systems can be a cost-effective method to transport both traditional Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) traffic and Ethernet traffic. They can also be configured to provide equipment redundancy or path rerouting capability to further increase reliability. These microwave backbones can be licensed or unlicensed and provide a wide range of capacities.
Power System Engineering, Inc. (PSE) uses a proven process to assess current backbone systems and to evaluate potential microwave systems for our clients. PSE provides insight into the capabilities of the leading communication vendors and the cost and functionality trade-offs between the different types of microwave systems.
When the decision is made to move forward on evaluation of a new microwave transport system, PSE can support the utility with the following:
- Needs Assessment
- Assessing business, functional, and technical requirements.
- Determining required transport traffic type(s): native TDM (T-1, DS3, OC-3, etc.), native Ethernet, or a combination of the two.
- Determining transport capacity requirements.
- Establishing reliability and redundancy requirements.
- Technology and Financial Planning
- Developing a backbone technology plan, including determining if a licensed, unlicensed, or a combination of licensed and unlicensed microwave networks will be the best approach.
- Completing feasibility and business cases.
- System Design
- Researching available tower locations, leased or owned, providing on-site assessments, and assisting with the site procurement or leasing process.
- Conducting microwave path reliability studies and coordinating line-of-site (LOS) path surveys.
- Determining the appropriate system protocol.
- Contract, Licensing, and Project Management
- Assisting or administering the vendor contract management process, including request for proposals (RFPs) that provide favorable terms and conditions for our clients.
- Facilitating spectrum and Federal Communications Commission (FCC) licensee planning and administration.
- Offering an experienced and competent project and program management team.
- System Integration
- Providing project management of system deployment.
- Offering third-party verification of the System Acceptance Tests (SAT).
- Facilitating final system integration of the appliances to the new microwave backbone.
Our Business Process
PSE has established key repeatable business processes in helping electrical utilities determine their technology needs, selecting the most appropriate vendor and completing the contract and financial steps while migrating to deployment and cutover. These proven processes and experiences will deliver value, while keeping the system capital costs as low as possible.