Mapping and Geographic Information Systems
An up-to-date geographic information system (GIS) is key to any utility's business. These software applications store and map a vast amount of information about the utility's electric, gas, and water systems, and outside plants. For maximum value, GIS needs to become one of the most integrated applications at the utility. Many business processes or systems are impacted by or depend on GIS, including field design or staking, outage management systems, maps for line personnel, the electric system model for system planning, outage management prediction, inventory systems, asset accounting, and others.
The GIS-related services offered by Power System Engineering, Inc. (PSE) include:
- GIS procurement and conversion services for electric, gas, and/or water utilities
- Assessment of existing GIS deployments using PSE’s GIS Maturity Model
- Training and ongoing coaching of utility GIS staff
- GIS maintenance services including map updates
- Creating web browser map interfaces for non-GIS users
- Integration of GIS with CIS, OMS, AVL, WMS, etc.
- GIS for utility telecommunication assets including wireless and fiber/copper communications networks
GIS Assessment and Plan
Wondering if your utility is getting the maximum benefit from your GIS investment? PSE has developed a GIS Maturity Model to assess the present state of your GIS deployment in areas including data completeness, data accuracy, mobile map viewing, connectivity, integration, staff capabilities, and others. Based on the assessment results and your utility’s goals, PSE will develop a plan for getting more from your GIS.